Friday, March 30, 2007

The Lives of Others


I saw The Lives of Others last weekend and have to say that it was amazing, brilliant, compelling--and any other hyperbolic adjective I can toss at it. But it truly was a fantastic (there I go again) movie. It deservedly won the Best Foreign Film Oscar, though I haven't seen Pan's Labyrinth yet (still).

The story is about a Stasi (aka, secret police) agent in East Berlin in 1984, and he is assigned to spy on a couple--a playwright and his actress girlfriend--suspected of being anti-government. At first, the Stasi guy is a hard-assed hardliner, a ruthless bureaucrat. But soon, as he gets more and more involved in these people's lives, he has an awakening. A moral awakening, you might call it. And from there, the mounting drama unfolds. The direction, acting, score--all of it is top notch. And, though it is devastating, it has one of the more satisfying endings that I've seen in a long time. I even cried. Go see it.

No comments: